Port Dalhousie, Lake Ontario, September 2011

Port Dalhousie, Lake Ontario, September 2011

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Well, at least I am saving on diesel fuel!


Sailing, from a certain perspective, is a low cost activity.  Right?  Lets see.  Our Yanmar 2GM literally sips diesel fuel and $12 worth of fuel will go a long, long way.  When the sails are up, travel costs are zilch…the wind is totally, 100% free.  Our club has reciprocal rights with other clubs around Lake Ontario so we can pull into almost anywhere on the lake and dock for a free night or two.  Again, not bad.

But then, there is the boat itself.  We have a lot to do on this boat and we knew that when we purchased the boat.  $3,000 for a new bimini and dodger. $400 or so for a new stove.  The electronics are fried (am thinking I will keep with my handheld GPS for a while). $100 for a new 20 – 30 amp converter which we owned for about 3 minutes before it rolled off the slip into 20 feet of murky water never to be seen again.  On and on it goes.

I need to replace the screens and gaskets in 8 opening ports.  The replacement kits are, I discovered around $26 each.  After some discussion on Sailnet.com, I was relieved to find I could buy the gaskets for a dollar or two and glue in replacement screening that I can buy for a couple of bucks at Canadian Tire.

But then there are the unplanned expenses.  At haulout, I had a boat mechanic winterize the boat and in the process, he informed me that I had a problem with the prop shaft and the transmission gasket.  The “P” bracket was loose and a whole bunch of other things were wrong (I started to glaze over a little while he was describing the issue to me) that entails a total replacement of shaft and associated parts.  Total cost $5,000!!!

I phoned the surveyor who looked the boat over before we bought it.  He informed me in no uncertain terms that it was perfectly fine when he went over it and that there must have been some damage done after the survey.  I can say I didn’t hit so much as a floating water bottle!  However, when the boat was being lifted out of the water, the aft strap from was too far aft and the boat was promptly dropped back into the water so the strap could be moved farther forward.  Could this have caused the damage?  Off to my insurance company I go to see if we can possibly get some coverage.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

But at least I am saving on diesel fuel right?

No comments:

Post a Comment